Linux is a UNIX-based open-source operating system. Linus Torvalds is a original creator of the Linux operating system.Any changes to it are open for all to adopt, and as a result it has developed into a very powerful/security/virus-free OS that is rapidly gaining in popularity worldwide, particularly among those seeking an alternative to Windows.Linux is free to use and install, and is more reliable than almost all other systems, running for many months and even years without a reboot being necessary,so now mostly used operating system for PC's and also more suitable for IT business.
Linux operating system is made up of three parts, such as Kernel,Shell,Programs.
Kernel is the main part of Linux operating system and it is acting as hub.It allocates time,resources such as memory to programs and handles the file-store and communications in response to system calls.Kernel receive the request the command from the shell and do the operation accordingly by allocating necessary resources.
Shell is an interface between the kernel and the program application. It would gather the operation/inputs from the user/application programs and pass the operations to the kernel to perform. And once operation completed by the kernel and pass the output to the user accordingly.
Programs is the set of code to do the operation required for the user and it can customized as per our need and developed and produced into user-level to utilized. Most of the linux programs also come along with GNU public license ,so user can customize and compile the programs as own wish.
Advantages and Benefits of Linux
- No proprietary/Owner.it can be debugged without resource to a license owner or software proprietor as per our own wish.
- Flexibility - We can customize the Linux OS as per our own/company wish to adapt with our business needs.
- Free of Cost - Core OS and related software applications comes under GNU general public license.we can download the OS and related application at free of cost.
- It is free to use and distribute.
- Support is free through online help sites, blogs and forums.
- It is very reliable - Linux distributions getting lower crashes compare to other operating systems.
- Large number of software developed for Linux under open-source license.
- It is very resistant to malware such as spyware, adware and viruses.
- It runs in a wide variety of machines than cannot be updated to use newer Windows versions.Adapted with almost all the type of hardware's.
- Since the source code is visible, 'backdoors' are easily spotted, so Linux offers greater security for sensitive applications.
- Linux offers a high degree of flexibility of configuration, and significant customization is possible without modifying the source code.
Created: February 19, 2023